Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Gospel in David


Recently, I finished preaching a series on "The Gospel." My desire is that our community of faith begins to become a "Gospel Fluent" church, meaning that the truths of Jesus become our first language.

One of the major points had to do with speaking the truths of Jesus into each others' lives when we feel distressed and begin to identify ourselves with our distress. When we say, "I am afraid... I am worried... I am anxious..." in some way we are expressing a belief that Satan himself places in us that is contrary to the Gospel.

In times like this, we have an opportunity to speak the Gospel to each other. When we do so, we can ask three questions: (1) Who am I? (2) What has God done? (3) Who is God? Or, if we are helping someone see the truths of Jesus in their lives, we ask: (1) Who are you saying you are based on this? (2) What do you believe God has done? (3) Who do you believe God is?

This becomes a "confession of sin." Sin is not just about behavior. It is about belief.

To illustrate, consider the words of David in Psalm 6, from The Message.

"Treat me nice for a change; I'm so starved for affection. Can't you see I'm black and blue, beat up badly in bones and soul?" (Verse 2).

"I'm tired of this--so tired. My bed has been floating forty days and nights on the flood of my tears. My mattress is soaked, soggy with tears. The sockets of my eyes are black holes; nearly blind, I squint and grope."

Really, this follows the big three questions mentioned above. If we were to do this with David, perhaps this is how the conversation plays out. Keep in mind, this assumes David is part of our faith community, a fellow follower of Jesus. The following conversation would not have the same effect with an unbeliever.

  1. David, based on what you are saying here, who do you believe yourself to be?
    • Alone
    • Mistreated
    • Abandoned
  2. Based on what you are saying here, what do you believe that God has done for you? Or failed to do?
    • He has left me.
    • He has abandoned me.
  3. OK, so if this is true, what does it say about who, in this moment, you are believing God to be?
    • Weak
    • Uncaring
    • Distracted
This is a confession of what Satan has convinced David to be true in a moment of distress. This gives a follower of God, a believer in the Gospel of Scripture, a chance to speak this Gospel into David's life. Even if we only use the Scriptures that existed before David's time (what he had access to), this works because the Gospel has existed from the beginning! It is the story of creation, fall, redemption, and restoration.

So let's try this with David by speaking the truth to him and going backwards.
  • David, God has told us otherwise. He has said, "I will never leave you nor abandon you" (Deuteronomy 31:6; Joshua 1:9). He says that He is the "merciful and gracious God" who shows "steadfast love" and forgives "iniquity, transgression, and sin." He had the power to create and to deliver an enslaved nation, your ancestors, while destroying their enslavers.
    • Do you believe this?
  • Who do you believe God to be, if this is true?
    • Powerful.
    • Merciful.
    • Present
  • Based on who God is, what has He done for you?
    • Well, he delivered my people through me when I killed Goliath.
    • He has forgiven my sins.
    • He has been present in my life all along. How else could I explain being king?
  • So, considering who God is, that you are made in HIs image, and what He has done for you, who are you, according to God?
    • Loved
    • Delivered
    • Not alone
    • Answered
This confession of sin (belief) has now turned into a confession of faith that results in David bearing the fruits of the spirit. He is free to love. He is free to experience joy and peace in God.

Anyone can do this, and it is even better to do this in community. Right now we are experiencing an unprecedented time when we cannot gather. But most of us still have a phone. Most of us have figured out how to meet online (Zoom, Factime, Skype, etc.). When you are feeling under distress, or when you are talking with someone under distress, how can you speak the truths of Jesus into each others' lives? Maybe you don't follow the outline above, but try something! Base whatever you do in the actual truths of Jesus, not something you think to be true (which means daily time in God's Word is critical!). But we have to do this--become Gospel fluent!--if we are to rightly represent Jesus to each other and to our neighbors.

May the Gospel make the difference for you today. May the Gospel become your first language!



No comments:

Post a Comment