Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Present (Not Past or Future)

OK, so Revelation is going to take me awhile if I keep getting sucked into it the way it's currently going... 2 verses in 2 days!

Revelation 2:1-3 I'll quote (for context)... especially looking at verse 2 today:

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near." (NASB)

I started by identifying the "who" in this verse. It's John. He's the one the angel of Jesus is giving this message to. There's a striking thing to this if you read it in context of verse 1. That word bond-servant comes back to mind, the one who has given up his or her own interests for the interests of Jesus Christ. Really, even the angel in verse one is a bond-servant of Jesus, right? So are many others (the church), and especially in this case, John.

Does it occur to us very often how dignifying that is? To be co-servants of the Creator and Ruler of the Universe with angels? Do we even believe this is possible (or even act like it)? I wonder... if I truly believed this to be true, would the Bible actually make more sense? If my place as a human is just a little lower than the angels (Psalm 8:5), yet at the same time above them in terms of how I was supposed to be created (think Eden there and being made in God's image), would reading the Scriptures seem different if I kept that in mind? That God is communicating something to me as I am supposed to be?

Then there's this. John testified. He bore witness to something he saw and experienced. That's pretty mind-blowing when you realize what he's about to write out for the church. I'm not really sure how you sleep after that, but I digress. The real point I'm getting to is that Jesus did this in the same verse. The word "testimony" from "the testimony of Jesus Christ..." is the same word used for John.

I know I'm not supposed to get ahead of myself when I'm studying the Bible, but I cannot help it right now, because the ultimate thing about the Revelation of Jesus Christ is the revelation of His final and glorious victory. The whole book builds up to it... it's the process of the victory of the Lamb and the re-uniting of God with humanity. God Himself will dwell with people again.

This is the testimony of Jesus Christ. You cannot testify to something that has not happened. If you haven't experienced it, you cannot testify to it. If you testify in court to something you did not actually see, you know what they call that? Perjury. Or, in the Bible, "bearing false witness." Lying.

We see in a mirror dimly. We are limited by time and space. Jesus Christ is not so limited. From His perspective, everything is in the present. It's not about Jesus' victory in the past (even if it is so from where we stand). It's not about Jesus' victory in the future (even if that's all we can grasp). It's all about the victory that He has seen, accomplished, and experienced, or that is seen, accomplished, and experienced.

How would you live differently today if you believed this?

If God gives me something big to do, would it change my outlook on doing that something if I knew victory in that something is already accomplished?

  • Save my marriage...
  • Disciple my kids...
  • Get out of debt...
  • Improve my health...
  • Be generous with my time and resources...

In the church, I am given the task of leadership in two places of worship right now. Both places have been through struggle and triumph. When struggle seems evident, and God gives us a vision and purpose and direction, would it not actually be distrustful of Him to think, "We're not up to it..." or "I'm not up to it..."? Do we believe that He is victorious or don't we?

Is Jesus a testifier of truth, or is He a liar? Which do I treat Him more like in my own life?

Lord Jesus, rearrange me! Transform me so that I see my task on earth through the lens of the dignity You have given me as Your child, and through the lens of Your accomplished victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment