Friday, March 21, 2014

Strength or Fear?

"The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2)

FEAR: (verb) to be afraid; to expect or worry about (something bad or unpleasant); (noun) an unpleasant emotion due to be anticipation or awareness of danger; an anxious concern.

STRENGTH: the quality or state of being physically strong; the ability to resist being moved or being broken by force; the quality that allows someone to deal with problems in a determined and effective way.

Typically, these two words don't work together. They combat each other. Strength overcomes fear, or fear is too much for strength (meaning strength is no longer really a strength). Sometimes, fear can give a person strength, usually due to an adrenaline rush. How else could average human beings lift a car that was about to crush a child (one of the miraculous stories you hear about from time to time)?

Each day we face something that we do not have the strength to overcome. It's the world. More specifically, it's sin, thrown at us by a devil who hates us and is much more powerful than we are. He may not physically beat you up, but he knows your weaknesses and takes advantage of them whenever it's possible to do so.

I dont' know about you, but I don't have the strength within myself to fight the devil... alone. Left to myself, I have reason to have a lot of fear.

Here's what Sarah Young wrote in Jesus Calling...

"Don't be afraid. I am your Strength and your Song. I am your Power and your Joy.

"What does it mean to have Me as your Strength? I simply spoke and the universe was created! Mountains soared up out of the earth! The sun and stars lit up the sky! My Power is absolutely unlimited. And I am able to take that same Power and make you strong.
"Think of it: I am on your side. I will guide you, protect you, and even fight for you if necessary. So don't let yourself bcome filled up with fear. Fear only blocks My Strength. Instead of being afraid, trust Me--remember that I am your Strength!

"I am also your Song. I want you to grab hold of My Joy. Celebrate! Shout for joy because I am right beside you!"

How well does your joy match your walk and your talk for God?

When have you most keenly felt God's goodness? His love? His strength?


No comments:

Post a Comment